Monday, June 16, 2014

Contract Negotiation update

Today we met again with Hennepin County for "negotiations."
The Sheriff's Office sent no one.
We explained to the County why their offer was voted down.
They left the room.
The mediator tried to nail down the main dispute. We replied money and the parameters for the 28 day schedule not being in writing.

The County pulled their offer and we began trying to nail down items for arbitration.

The mediator was still wanting to work out a settlement if possible.

We gave it one last shot (or so I thought). We told the mediator that if they offered the market adjustment (1% in 2014 and 1% in 2015) across the steps for all job classes in addition to the 2.5% Cost of Living the members would probably vote it in.

The county rejected the offer. They do not want to give a market adjustment to those of you not at top pay, unless you are a dispatcher.

Much discussion took place among the stewards. The majority of stewards felt the members didn't understand the "risk" of going to arbitration and felt the County's last  offer should be re-voted.

I was among those who thought that we should  just go to arbitration, as the membership already voted the offer down and get it done, but democracy prevails.

You will again receive a ballot for the last offer that you voted down.

My opinion has not changed since February.

No sense retyping identical words. Read my post from last time, my position is the same:

Mediation "Employers Best and Final Proposal"


And I will add the disclaimer this is not an official MNPEA blog or representative of the other stewards. It is just my opinion and clearly a minority one, at least among the stewards.

5 comments:

Jason Herlitz said...

Again the County shows what it thinks of all of us and a majority of stewards want to slink away from a fight? For shame. This county despises us from Opat to the Sheriff to the Lieutentants stationed at the jail and we should vote again when there has been a vote. For shame. It is time to fight fire with fire. Stand up and stop cowering before the bullies. Fight for the contract we deserve. Once that fight is done, remember those who didnt want that fight and remove those stewards who did not stand up. Vote them out. I put my name on this because I wont be afraid to express my opinion and I dont care who knows it.

Steward 320 said...

I will again vote NO. Our members in the Steps (not at top pay) deserve the same market adjustment as us at the top and dispatch.

I've never seen an offer rejected by the members returned for a vote with no changes whatsoever. It was already rejected by a 2-1 ratio.

The Sheriff's Office didn't even bother to show up.





Anonymous said...

I see that you took what the majority of stewards told you and tossed it back in our face. I will do everything that I can to get you voted out. You are a disgruntle employee, you think about just yourself. Again this is not about you it is about everyone. As for the disclaimer it is bullshit as you still list MNPEA all over it and that you are a steward. I challenge you to remove all items that state MNPEA and steward. This site is why the members do not have a fighting chance, you shoot us in the foot before the fight.
As for Jason I will explain why this site and why Wade should be removed as steward in depth but not on this disgrace of a site. He is the one that has caused the contract negotiations to go south. I hope some members read this and see what a disgrace Wade has become as steward and member. WADE YOU ARE NOT THE VOICE OF MNPEA SO STOP
SIGNED EBBERS.
AND YES I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE.

Steward 320 said...

Ebbers, The Members already voted this down. They expected us to go to arbitration.

I voted what I believe the members already made clear.

If the County had agreed to add the market adjustment to all steps I would have supported another member vote.

The next logical step would have been arbitration.

We are all elected stewards and the majority prevailed. It's now back in the hands of the members.

If you believe it's a good offer sell it, I disagree. Nothing personal.

Steward 320 said...

One more point, as to your comment, " This site is why the members do not have a fighting chance, you shoot us in the foot before the fight."

The County has been settling with AFSCME and jamming us with their agreements as long as I can remember. They don't really bargain.It's their only game plan. Yes, I call them out, but the game remains the same.

Did this blog give us the 28 day schedule?

Did this blog make me be in the minority for the vote at the last mediation? Your side prevailed, there will always be differences, clearly I don't control the stewards, we think for ourselves and do what we think best.

Each member will have their own vote on this. I get only one vote like everyone else.

Do the licensed staff get any better treatment because one of them doesn't have a blog?


You are a member and I didn't block your comments.

Hell, I even offered a post from Stanek, the Kitten and Frizell. Only the Kitten has responded so far. Rich? Eddie?

The other two candidates still can answer the questions and I will post unedited.

You are a good steward, we just strongly disagree on the contract issue. I wouldn't work to have you removed.

I'm not disgruntled, I just won't play the game by their crooked rules.