Thursday, December 01, 2011

The illogic of the sick time policy

As you all know the HCSO has implemented a new sick time policy that began June 1, 2011 basically stating that if you use more then 96 hours a year of sick time you are in violation of the HCSO sick time use policy (which I believe violates the contract and have grieved), will be put on monitored sick leave and are subject to discipline.

Why did they do this? Why to reduce sick time use of course and save money.

Does this work? Well let's see.

I have a recurring back problem with a disc that flares up occasionally causing me to miss a day or two of work. Because of the new sick time policy I was put on monitored sick leave. Subsequently I had my doctor put me on intermittent Family Medical Leave (FML) to keep from being disciplined when this occurs.

A couple of days ago I aggravated my back changing a tire and missed two days of work on FML. But I can't go back to work per the employer until I get a note from my doctor who can't see me until 1 PM tomorrow!

What does this mean? The HCSO will have to cover my shift tomorrow with overtime, they will pay me another day off at straight time and because they are now self insured they will pay my doctor to see me.

I can see the savings already! No wonder they want to raise our health insurance premiums again.

2 comments:

Dean Enge said...

Ar the ACF they do something similar reviewing you for monitoring if you use over 64 hours. They also are requiring people to get FML forms for any use of sick leave in advance such as for minor surgery where you might need a couple of days off.

Steward 320 said...

Our contract doesn't list the amount of time you can use per year, only WHAT you can use sick time for.

On June 1, 2011 the HCSO made the policy 96 hours and then ran an audit back one year. Essentially making a new policy then implementing it retroactively.